Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hello from Manali!

So I finally arrived yesterday morning after a bit of flight adventure.  The flight from Delhi to Kullu was one of the most breathtaking scenes I have ever seen. We flew through the Himalayas and then followed the course of the Beas River to land at Bhuntar Airport.

Sunny's friend and neighbor from Dharamsala who works for Kingfisher Airlines greeted me at the door of the airport.  Sunny arrived a few minutes later and it was wonderful to see him after so many years!

We drove for about an hour and a half through the apple orchards and mountains, through Kullu Valley until we reached Manali.  The little children standing on the sides of the street in their proper school uniforms waiting for the bus nearly melted my heart... they were so adorable!!

We are staying right in the center of Manali at the Hotel Kanchan Grey.  It is quite literally just across the street from the Hospital, which will be perfect.  The hotel is simple, but clean, and the staff have been very accomodating of all my undoubtedly very strange requests. 

Last night I had a wonderful dinner at Sunny's apartment, with his colleague and manager.  The aloo gobi was absolutely delicious!  I have also been introduced to many friends and neighbors, all of whom have been incredibly warm and welcoming.

I am anxious to meet the doctors and staff at the hospital now that I have settled in slightly and have made arrangements for the few additional things needed at the hotel.

I was excited to brush up on my bargaining skills this morning.  I wanted to buy a simple black dupatta (shawl/scarf that women where around their neck).  I finally found a lovely pashmina, but the shop owner wanted more than $20 U.S. for it or about 1000 rupees.  I laughed at the absurdity of this price and  managed to get him down to half of that.  Still expensive, but a lovely quality piece that will go with everything.

I did have a very strange wakeup in the night when several men came pounding on my door around 3am and said that the police were at the hotel.  I quickly got them away, relocked the door, and alerted Sunny.  Nothing has come of it, thankfully, but it was really quite bizarre.  That reminds me that I need to ask the hotel staff if they can drill a peep-hole in the door. 

Internet should be installed either today or tomorrow at the hotel, so I will get to stop breaking into Sunny's bank to use the computer!  So look for more updates soon.

Can't wait for the students, my Mom and Mili to arrive on the 26th... especially now that my Mom finally got her visa!

3 comments:

  1. OMG! This is scary-- who were those men who woke you up? Is that place really safe? I am a little worried now. We must skype soon.

    And 5,000 rupees for a scarf- that is absurd. DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELSE. These people I ripping you off. I am pretty sure that the scarf was only suppose to be 500 rupees max. grrr...

    Okay, seems like I will be the only one commenting on your blog. Feel free to delete my absurd little comments when ever you are done reading. :)

    Love you,
    Himani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, don't worry too much.

    The thing with the men knocking on the door was very strange, but they didn't do anything otherwise. I have also had a little chat with the hotel manager about this and some extra precautions are being taken. They think it was another hotel guest that was fascinated by me being American... seems a bit unlikely to me, but who knows. I am trying to get them to at least install peep holes in the doors, so you can see out without opening it.

    As for the scarf you read the number wrong, silly. I paid 500 rupees and it is pure pashmina. Sunny and I took it to another shop where they give him really good prices since he works for the bank and they said it was high quality and they would have asked for a minimum of 450-500 Rs. So I didn't get ripped off that badly, lol

    Can't wait for you to be here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, my bad. I guess I did read the number wrong. :P this is what happens when I am too excited. Also, you should follow me on my blog: http://beyondtheunitedstates.blogspot.com/2011/05/summer-2011.html

    okaylucyouseeyoulaterbye!
    Himani

    ReplyDelete