Sunday, June 26, 2011

There's nothing like a good party

I have to work backwards now, to cover the things from the past few weeks!  So please bear with me...

I'm not a big partier, but I had decided long before we came, that we should have a goodbye dinner, especially to thank Dr. Philip and his wife Dr. Anna for their generosity in hosting our group.  After some scheduling issues, we decided on Tuesday, that the party would have to be held on Thursday night.

By Wednesday evening, very little had been planned.  We still weren't entirely sure how many people were coming, but somehow the estimate had expanded from the original idea of just Philip and Anna, to a guest list of nearly 70 people!  Fortunately, Sunny and the staff are amazing, and not only said that they could cook for this many people, but that they would arrange for a DJ, mats to cover the broken concrete in the courtyard for dancing, and all the chairs, tables, and dinnerware that were needed.  Nothing like having less than 24 hours to put together a party for 70 people!!

Well I'll be damned, but I have to say that I think this was one of the best parties I have ever been to.  The food was amazing, everyone danced... even me after a consider amount of dragging and persuading!  And the students and hospital staff all seemed to have an absolutely fantastic time.  Sunny had even brought my Mom and I two beautiful salwars from his trip to Amritsar, so it was the perfect opportunity to get dressed up and show off his amazing taste in clothing (his father is one of the best tailors in Dharamsala).  He brought me a gorgeous sky blue outfit with some of the most intricate beading I have ever seen in my life.

At one point we were having so much fun that we failed to notice that a huge crowd of people had gathered outside the hotel gates and were just standing there watching what was undoubtedly quite a spectacle... 40 or 50 Indian and white people dancing together to bollywood music in the middle of a courtyard/parking lot!

Unfortunately, the students had to give their final presentations the next day, so we couldn't stay up all night partying, but we had a blast during the time we had.

I have to say, my Mom made one really interesting comment to me.  She said that she hadn't seen me like this in years, having so much fun and getting up and being so energetic (even if the energy only lasted about 10 minutes).  When I think about it, she is right.  Ever since the fibromyalgia developed when I was 16, I am really resistant to doing anything... I'm always too tired or having too much pain or feeling too sick.  I had forgotten how fun-loving I used to be.  I'm not sure what made me able to be like that once again after so many years, but whatever, it was, I have to try to channel it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment